Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Things That Don't Suck: Eastbound and Down

People I would recommend Eastbound and Down for:
-kids who like boobies
-people who find ironic racism funny
-racists who are unable to grasp the concept of irony
-North Americans who like the BBC Office better than the NBC one (but can still enjoy "zany")
-my cousin
-people who stuck with Arrested Development right through season 3 (but can live without endless self referencing)



Eastbound and Down is a series that I'm sure HBO is still playing and replaying, so its a good idea for you to catch it while its hot and while you can still impress people with your TV elitism (TV aficionados have already all seen it, but you can still impress the casuals).

The best parallel (and perhaps an overly endearing one) I can draw to it is the BBC version of The Office. Both have a main character so awful that the only way the audience can care about them is because their lives are so sad (but even then, its hard to like them because its all their own fault). Both fearlessly indulge into truly disparaging events that are too sad and pathetic to laugh at, and both had a 6 episode first season (although that is standard practice in BBC land).

But is it good? Its certainly bolder than the average comedy, which is something I like. Its not afraid to make fun of things that people are worried are sensitive issues, but better yet its not afraid to not be funny at times. Plenty of comedies are worried about getting from joke to joke, but there were entire episodes that I didn't laugh at once, but I still enjoyed. Maybe I'm just getting old...

While its fun, some of the characters I just can't believe (I'm not sure what Will Farrell is doing other than being Will Farrell in a wig) and its moments when the characters are more caricatures that it feels less like The Office (BBC, or even the NBC one for that matter) and seems to move away from what its trying to be. The love interest I don't buy for a second, but at the very least it certainly serves its purpose by the very last scene of season one.

No comments:

Post a Comment